Tuesday, November 22, 2011

カタカナ Literary Work!

Here are my three senryu written about different subjects. I really enjoyed writing these, although I had to try a few different versions as I learned what consisted of one mora.


Notes and Keys
ききました
うたトビマシタ
ひとのウエ

Ivy League
タカイやま
たくさんしごと
いそがしい

Home
うれしいエ
とかぞくごはん
ア、いもうと!


I used katakana as opposed to hiragana for some words in the haiku to place special emphasis on those words. I didn't use any foreign or loan words, or that usage of katakana. In the last senryu I used katakana for an exclamatory word or onomatopoeia, "ah." The first senryu has the words "flies" and "voice" in katakana, just because I wanted to place special emphasis on them. The second one has the word "high" in katakana, also because I wanted to emphasize the insurmountability of the mountain. I enjoyed writing these senryu! I hope you enjoy reading them.

9 comments:

  1. interesting work and pictures! Could you also provide an English translation for each of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I really like the accompanying images. Especially the 'high mountain" of papers. very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last senryu was my favorite! アーusage really conveys that the speaker suddenly just had to blurt out "Ah, my sister". And the Katakana usage in the second senryu was also clever -- the cragginess of タカイ looks like a mountain range...

    To me...

    If you squint...

    -ムラサキ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your last senryu. Those are all the things I love and miss about my own home. Also, the picture is great. いもうと!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your Ivy League senryu. I think many students can relate to this!
    It will be great if you can explain the meaning of the first senryu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. え が だい すき。

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you touched upon two of the best things in life - music and family - and then another major part of our live, academic work and stress. It is all so relevant to us which makes it very easy for us to connect and understand your senryus. The "insurmountability of the mountain" is a great way to put it, and writing it in katakana is a very apt idea. とてもたのしですよ〜

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! かぞくのえはとてもおもしろいです!

    Fun pictures! Also, I totally relate with your second senryu. School is one hell of a mountain. And, to make it worse, our school might just be Mt. Everest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A high hountain, so much work, busy". That pretty much sums up what we all feel right now. I certainly understand why "takai yama" is in katakana. It is overwhelming...

    ReplyDelete